Youth Advisor - Iraq
For more than 25 years and in over 100 countries, the International Youth Foundation (IYF®) has focused exclusively on helping young people succeed. A global nonprofit organization, IYF believes that there are three keys to achieving this success: learning skills that will endure, earning a livelihood, and growing as an engaged citizen. IYF supports youth in developing work readiness skills, choosing a career path, and securing employment or deciding to start or grow their own small business or social venture. The resilient spirit of these young women and men inspires us and gives us purpose. IYF initiatives have benefitted more than 7.4 million young people directly, and over 12 million additional people have benefitted indirectly. We forge partnerships to deepen investment and impact in youth employment and engagement. In cities and towns across the United States and around the world, IYF empowers young people to lead productive, fulfilling lives.
IYF is seeking a Youth Advisor for an anticipated socio-economic development program in Iraq.
The Youth Advisor will provide oversight and technical input into the design and implementation of youth assessments and activities in Iraq. This position will contribute to the program’s strategic vision, especially as it relates to developing a positive youth development strategy at project, implementing partner, and beneficiary levels. S/he will support the design of youth assessments, trainings, capacity building, and other activities linked to the youth development agenda and best practices in Iraq, the region and globally. Please note this position is contingent on funding from a potential USAID program.
- Design and carry out youth assessments to develop the program’s youth policy and strategy and to support design/implementation of subsequent plans to better integrate positive youth development approaches in to the program.
- Provide youth-specific technical input into the design and implementation of youth programmatic activities.
- Design and implement strategies to address barriers and constraints faced by youth seeking equal access to social and economic opportunities.
- Serve as the key spokesperson and representative for the program on youth related issues.
- Establish a network of Iraqi and/or regional youth partners/stakeholders involved in socio-economic development issues (government, donor, UN, NGO, university, and private sector) to leverage for knowledge sharing/learning.
- Review monitoring and evaluation data and reporting, track program performance, and identify best practices related to youth development.
- Provide youth-specific technical support and training services to local implementing partners to implement youth development activities, i.e. training in positive youth development, youth economic empowerment, community participation, etc., in coordination with relevant stakeholders (e.g., UN, NGO, private sector, government entities).
- Provide regular updates on implementation progress and contributions to donor reports, which may include conducting research and generating other technical reports as required.
- Identify and troubleshoot youth related implementation challenges and provide timely solutions.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Solid “troubleshooting” skills and sound judgment in dealing with project partners experiencing implementation challenges.
- Strong interpersonal communication, presentation, and analytical skills.
- Excellent time management, planning, multi-tasking, organizational, and communications skills.
- Ability to identify and establish priorities and meet tight deadlines. Flexibility and ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to find viable solutions to complicated problems in a flexible, time-sensitive and creative manner.
- Native fluency in Arabic.
- Fluent in English, both oral and written.
- Excellent computer skills using MS Office products including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Ability to travel up to 40% of time within Iraq.
- Master’s degree in Social or Development studies or a closely related field.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience managing and providing technical support to donor-funded youth development programs in Iraq and/or the MENA region.
- Strategic and operational management experience, including program design, partner management, training and capacity building.
- Experience developing youth assessments and strategies.
- Experience successfully working with the public and private sectors, and/or civil society, local government and donors in supporting youth projects.
- Experience working on multi donor-funded programs in Iraq and/or the region.
Regional Director for the Middle East, North Africa and Eurasia
Please submit the following documents in English via email to email@example.com with "Iraq – Youth Advisor" in the subject line by September 16, 2019:
- Completed IYF Field Office Application for Employment
To be eligible for this position, applicants must have the legal authority to work and reside in Iraq; this position is a local hire position in Iraq. Iraqis living abroad with an interest and legal ability to work in Iraq are eligible to apply. Applications will be reviewed as received.
The International Youth Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer