Reports to the Country Advisor - Zimbabwe and the Regional Finance Manager -Sub Saharan Africa, both are based in Harare, Zimbabwe.
ABOUT INTERNATIONAL YOUTH FOUNDATION (IYF®)
For 30 years, our sole focus has been to help young people succeed. Together with partners around the world, we’ve invested in ensuring that youth develop the leadership, technical, and life skills to earn a livelihood. Whether it’s landing a first job, growing a business, or driving social change, every young person deserves the opportunity to realize his or her full potential. Rooted in the belief of youth as problem-solvers, change-makers, and leaders, our initiatives are catalysts for change. For more information please consult www.iyfnet.org.
POSITION SUMMARY & PURPOSE
The International Youth Foundation is a named partner for CARE’s Takunda program in Zimbabwe in response to the USAID/Food for Peace Fiscal Year 2020 Development Food Security Activities in Zimbabwe. As part of the CARE consortium, IYF’s role’s will specifically focus on serving as the technical lead for youth, a key cross-cutting issue that must be fully integrated and embedded throughout the project design and implementation. There will be close coordination between IYF’s activities and the rest of the DFSA components, but especially close collaboration with the nutrition/health, WASH, gender, governance, livelihoods/agriculture, and disaster risk reduction (DRR) teams.
The Project Accountant will help coordinate and contribute to the implementation of the project, ensuring compliance with IYF and CARE’s established accounting standards and donors’ rules and regulations to support high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable. S/he will efficiently perform accounting services through documenting the project financial transactions by compiling, analyzing, and verifying account information, preparing account entries, and delivering financial reporting services throughout the project’s life cycle. S/he will review and validate supporting documentation before processing of financial transactions to ensure all required documents are accurate and complete, and authorizations are in place.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures compliance and consistency with organizational policies and procedures, as well as compliance with the terms and conditions of donor agreement governing the work in the office.
- Records and accounts for daily transactions, ensuring accuracy and completeness of required files and supporting documentation serving as evidence of transactions.
- Ensures sound cash management of local bank accounts and maintains petty cash fund.
- Processes cash disbursements in accordance with financial management policies and established approval levels.
- Processes payroll, remits tax and other government contributions and reports to local agencies in a timely manner.
- Responsible for full accounts payable function from procurement through payment of invoices.
- Process employee expense reimbursements.
- Ensures timely payment to all company payees and maintains sufficient and complete payee files.
- Prepares monthly financial reports for IYF Baltimore and internal management reports for the Country Advisor containing budget to actual expenditure information on a regular basis.
- Performs month-end closing and year-end duties such as reconciliations, VAT reimbursements, inventory lists, etc.
- Responsible for procurement activities in accordance with IYF procurement policy and ensures consistency with donor rules and regulations.
- Provides assistance to program staff in office and project budget management and tracking through convening monthly working budget meetings in liaison with RFM and updates the project team.
- Liaise with RFM and Country Advisor to ensure timely donor reports and cash requests submission.
- Attend and participate in donor meetings, workshops as local IYF finance contact.
- Conduct regular trainings for staff on IYF policies and procedures.
- Act as finance lead for project and institutional audits.
- Strong accounting, financial management, budgeting and financial analysis skills using common accounting packages (e.g. Pastel).
- Knowledge of the relevant public donor regulations particularly USAID preferred.
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to detect and report inconsistencies.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results oriented.
- Proficient in MS office packages (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Visio), Web conferencing applications.
- Knowledge of QuickBooks financial accounting package or similar financial reporting software.
- Fluent in English, both oral and written.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics or a related field is required with professional courses in accounting or CIS, ACCA or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working in similar responsibilities preferably with NGO.
- Proven experience with USAID funded projects with finance management oversight responsibility.
Please submit the following documents in English via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Project Accountant" in the subject line by 15 December 2020:
- Completed IYF Field Office Application for Employment
To be eligible for this position, applicants must have the legal authority to work and reside in Zimbabwe; this position is a local hire position in Zimbabwe. Applications will be reviewed as received.
The International Youth Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.