MONITORING, EVALUATION & LEARNING (MEL) MANAGER, TANZANIA
Position Summary and Purpose
The primary responsibility of this position will be to oversee the implementation and leveraging of program Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) systems and data, including effective design and integration of the Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) system to inform program implementation. The MEL Manager will work in close collaboration with IYF Baltimore’s MEL Director to build staff and partners’ capacity to effectively use the system as well as to collect and analyze data.
The MEL Manager will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. The ideal candidate will be a person with a commitment to international development and values-driven work environment, with demonstrated experience successfully monitoring and evaluating programs in Tanzania.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the program MEL Plan to capture project performance and results, including data reporting, assessments, and all monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Ensure high-quality implementation of M&E component, in close collaboration with the IYF Baltimore MEL Director, and consistency in protocols, information and reporting systems.
- Establish MEL processes with each implementing partner, three to four vocational training centers and an entrepreneurship partner, working closely with their M&E and program staff.
- Develop, in collaboration with implementing partners, the MEL component of capacity strengthening plans and support their successful implementation. Coordinate all MEL capacity strengthening activities with project staff and implementing partners, including development of tools and guides to facilitate knowledge transfer. Provide technical MEL training and support to local implementing partner MEL staff and relevant program staff.
- Develop and manage the flow of data and information for the program that will ensure accurate and timely data collection, analysis, and reporting of program performance results. Ensure relevant data is entered into IYF’s organization-wide data management system on the Salesforce platform.
- Ensure quality of data through data verification procedures, including routine data quality audits.
- Analyze results to provide clear and accurate conclusions and recommendations to stakeholders to guide decision-making. Report results of MEL activities internally and externally and document progress toward achieving indicators/targets, as appropriate.
- Conduct targeted evaluations and operations research, including design, data collection, management and analysis.
- Cultivate strategic MEL relationships and alliances, and represent MEL activities in public and professional circles through meetings, conferences, and presentations.
- Supervise M&E Officer and/or other assigned staff. Responsible for the professional development of staff reporting to this position, including, but not limited to ensuring clear understanding of job requirements and obligations, conducting regular meetings, and ongoing performance management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Proven expertise in quantitative and qualitative methodologies, research, reporting, data quality assessments, data analysis, and presentation.
- Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork, and planning skills with proven ability to function effectively with multiple counterparts in private, public, and NGO sectors.
- Strong understanding of M&E, policy, and compliance requirements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in KiSwahili and English, including excellent facilitation skills and demonstrated technical writing skills for publication.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse international teams.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and work effectively in a complex environment.
- Strong technical skills, including ability to process and analyze data using one or more statistical software packages, including at least one of the following: SPSS, MS Access, STATA, SAS, or other.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office, including Excel and Word.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally as needed.
- Bachelors’ degree and 6+ years of work experience in monitoring and evaluating large multi-year international development programs with a robust M&E component. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Established professional in Tanzania, with M&E experience in international development programs; youth programs preferred.
- Experience in engaging with or building capacity of local organizations, e.g., educational institutions, governmental systems, and NGOs.
Reports jointly to the Country Director in Tanzania and to the Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) Director based in Baltimore, MD, USA.
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Please submit the following documents in English via email to email@example.com with "Tanzania – M&E Manager" in the subject line by August 31, 2017:
- Completed IYF Field Office Application for Employment
- Cover Letter
Applications will be reviewed as received. Tanzanian nationals are encouraged to apply.
No phone calls please. To be considered for this position please follow application instructions.
The International Youth Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.