Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Advisor
The International Youth Foundation (IYF) is seeking a Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Advisor who will oversee the design and implementation of all MEL systems and activities for an anticipated USAID-funded, five-year, multi-million dollar project that aims to support evidence-based and evidence-producing county-level models that empower youth and connect them directly to social and economic opportunities to improve their livelihoods and well-being. The project will enhance county-level youth-serving systems; form partnerships between US and Kenyan higher education institutions to develop their capacity to generate and use data to expand evidence-based and evidence-producing programs, practices, and policies related to youth; and use county-level models to strengthen systems to better engage youth and connect them to social and economic opportunities.
Kenyan nationals are strongly encouraged to apply. Hiring for this position will be contingent upon IYF securing funding from USAID for this activity and USAID’s approval of the candidate for this position.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the project MEL plan to capture project performance and results, including data reporting, assessments, and all monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Promote a culture of data for decision-making, using data to inform project collaboration, learning, and adaptation.
- Build the MEL capacity of youth organizations, higher education institutions, and local government, working closely with their MEL and program staff. Develop and implement capacity strengthening plans. Develop tools and guides to facilitate knowledge transfer. Provide technical MEL training and support.
- Ensure high-quality implementation of MEL activities and consistency in protocols, information and reporting systems.
- Develop and manage the flow of data and information for the program to ensure accurate and timely data collection, analysis, and reporting of program performance results. Ensure relevant data is entered into IYF’s organization-wide data management system on the Salesforce platform.
- Ensure quality of data through data verification procedures, including routine data quality audits.
- Analyze results to provide clear and accurate conclusions and recommendations to project staff and stakeholders to guide decision-making. Report results of MEL activities internally and externally and document progress toward achieving indicators/targets, as appropriate.
- Conduct targeted evaluations and operations research, including design, data collection, management and analysis. Design and implement research and data practices that fully engage with youth themselves, particularly beyond the elite cohort of university students and graduates.
- Cultivate strategic MEL relationships and alliances and represent MEL activities in public and professional circles through meetings, conferences, and presentations.
- Supervise staff as assigned, including providing regular professional support and coaching to supervisees, assessing their performance and recommending improvements they can make to achieve their annual objectives and the project's goal in general.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A graduate degree in a relevant field, such as education, international development, or non-profit management, with focus on evaluation methodologies.
- Five years of relevant experience in designing and implementing MEL systems, preferably within education, livelihoods, or private sector development programs in Kenya or similar country contexts.
- Experience in relevant technical areas, such as survey and research tool design, data collection, statistical analysis, qualitative research, and dissemination of results.
- Experience on the use of MEL systems to support a learning agenda and evolve a theory of change to maximize impact.
- Experience building capacity of local organizations, such as educational institutions, governmental systems, and NGOs.
- Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork, and planning skills with proven ability to function effectively with multiple counterparts in private, public, and NGO sectors.
- Strong understanding of MEL, policy, and compliance requirements.
- Strong technical skills, including ability to process and analyze data using one or more statistical software packages, including at least one of the following: SPSS, MS Access, STATA, SAS, or other.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including excellent facilitation skills and demonstrated technical writing skills for publication.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse international teams.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and work effectively in a complex environment.
- Spoken and written fluency in English and Swahili required; fluency in other Kenyan languages a plus.
- Excellent computer skills using MS Office products including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
Chief of Party
Please submit your CV in English via email to email@example.com with "Kenya – MEL Advisor" in the subject line:
To be eligible for this position, applicants must have the legal authority to work and reside in Kenya; this position is a local hire position in Kenya. Applications will be reviewed as received.
The International Youth Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer