Gender and Social Inclusion Advisor - Iraq
For more than 25 years and in over 100 countries, the International Youth Foundation (IYF®) has focused exclusively on helping young people succeed. A global nonprofit organization, IYF believes that there are three keys to achieving this success: learning skills that will endure, earning a livelihood, and growing as an engaged citizen. IYF supports youth in developing work readiness skills, choosing a career path, and securing employment or deciding to start or grow their own small business or social venture. The resilient spirit of these young women and men inspires us and gives us purpose. IYF initiatives have benefitted more than 7.4 million young people directly, and over 12 million additional people have benefitted indirectly. We forge partnerships to deepen investment and impact in youth employment and engagement. In cities and towns across the United States and around the world, IYF empowers young people to lead productive, fulfilling lives.
IYF is seeking a Gender and Social Inclusion Advisor (‘GSI Advisor’) for an anticipated socio-economic development program in Iraq.
The GSI Advisor will provide oversight and technical input on gender and social inclusion into the design and implementation of all project activities in Iraq. This position will contribute to the program’s strategic vision, especially as it relates to developing a gender and social inclusion mainstreaming strategy at project, partner and beneficiary levels. S/he will support the design of gender and social inclusion assessments, trainings, capacity building, and other activities necessary to ensure adequate attention to gender and social inclusion. Please note this position is contingent on funding from a potential USAID program.
- Design and carry out assessments to develop the program’s gender and social inclusion policy and strategy, as well as inform and adapt all project plans to address gender and social inclusion-related barriers and issues among the target populations.
- Provide gender and social inclusion-specific technical input into the design and implementation of programmatic activities.
- Design and implement strategies to address gender and inclusion-related barriers and constraints faced by young women and men seeking equal access to social and economic opportunities.
- Serve as the key spokesperson and representative for the program on gender and social inclusion related issues.
- Establish a network of Iraqi and/or regional gender and social inclusion partners/stakeholders involved in socio-economic development issues (government, donor, UN, NGO, university, and private sector) to leverage for knowledge sharing/learning.
- Review monitoring and evaluation data and reporting, track program performance, and identify best practices related to gender and social inclusion mainstreaming.
- Provide gender and social inclusion-specific technical support and training services to local partners for mainstreaming activities, i.e. economic empowerment, community participation, etc., in coordination with relevant stakeholders (e.g., UN, NGO, private sector, government entities).
- Provide regular updates on implementation progress and contributions to donor reports, which may include conducting research and generating other technical reports as required.
- Identify gender and social inclusion related implementation challenges and provide timely solutions.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Strong interpersonal communication, presentation, training and analytical skills.
- Excellent time management, planning, multi-tasking, organizational, and communications skills.
- Ability to identify and establish priorities and meet tight deadlines.
- Flexibility and ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Solid “troubleshooting” skills and sound judgment in dealing with project partners experiencing implementation challenges.
- Demonstrated ability to find viable solutions to complicated problems in a flexible, time-sensitive and creative manner.
- Native fluency in Arabic.
- Fluent in English, both oral and written.
- Excellent computer skills using MS Office products including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Ability to travel up to 40% of time within Iraq.
- Master’s degree in Social, Development or Gender studies, or a closely related field.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience managing and providing technical support on gender and social inclusion to donor-funded social and economic programs in Iraq or the region.
- Strategic and operational management experience, including program design, partner management, training and capacity building.
- Experience developing gender and social inclusion assessments and strategies.
- Experience successfully working with the public and private sectors, and/or civil society, local government and donors in supporting gender and social inclusion projects.
- Experience working on multi donor-funded programs in Iraq and/or the region.
- Ability to negotiate the inclusion of gender and social inclusion related design changes and activities in program plans and implementation.
Regional Director for the Middle East, North Africa and Eurasia
Please submit the following documents in English via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Iraq – Gender and Social Inclusion Advisor" in the subject line by September 16, 2019:
- Completed IYF Field Office Application for Employment
To be eligible for this position, applicants must have the legal authority to work and reside in Iraq; this position is a local hire position in Iraq. Iraqis living abroad with an interest and legal ability to work in Iraq are eligible to apply. Applications will be reviewed as received.
The International Youth Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer