Director, Business Development
To lead the resourcing of IYF’s mission and strategic priorities. In partnership with a dynamic and committed team of professionals worldwide, this position drives the cultivation of donor and partner relationships, positioning for and pursuit of competitive funding opportunities, and generation of innovative, transformative programs to advance youth development. This senior position leads a team focused primarily on USG and other public donor institutions, and collaborates closely with IYF’s Corporate and Foundation Partnerships unit to identify and leverage shared-value opportunities.
- Lead IYF’s business development (BD) strategy – aligned to the organization’s thematic strategic objectives – to deliver on the organizational revenue generation goal.
- Ensure IYF’s BD system, processes, tools and capacities reflect industry best practices and support the organization’s successful pursuit of funding from bilateral and multilateral donor agencies, foundations, and local and multi-national corporations.
- Oversee pipeline management, competitiveness analysis, milestone decisions, and quality control processes to ensure top quality products and sound investment of agency resources. Ensure proposal roles are appropriately assigned across organizational divisions, and serve as Chief, Facilitator, or Reviewer as needed for major organizational priorities.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with funders and partners, in partnership with BD and Program staff and executive leadership. Help build strategic, longer-term partnerships for enhanced competitiveness and cross-sectoral collaboration. Market IYF programs and assets, and support IYF to be recognized as a partner of choice among donors, peer organizations and community stakeholders.
- Guide the development and execution of effective positioning, capture, and proposal strategies, including consortium teaming negotiations, personnel recruitment, and pricing. Partner with IYF’s International Finance & Administration team to develop competitive pricing strategies and cost applications.
- Directly supervise a team of BD specialists who support programs in all geographic regions and thematic areas. Support capacity-building and performance management of matrix-managed employees in other teams who participate in business development efforts.
- Serve on the Senior Management Team providing strategic leadership and direction for the organization.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Exceptional leadership, management and supervisory, analytical, and representational skills with the ability to build teams and work across a matrixed organization.
- A collegial management style that emphasizes both achieving results and working with a highly skilled, multi-cultural and cross-functional team of professional colleagues.
- Business development expertise and knowledge of industry best practice across the full BD cycle. Exceptional skills and results-oriented approach to leading positioning, capture planning, bid strategy, technical and cost application development, and quality control for competitive funding opportunities from USAID and other government and multilateral development agencies.
- Strong Knowledge Management and Learning aptitude to strengthen internal systems, processes, and staff capacities for effective business development and optimal return on investment.
- Ability to assume responsibility, make sound judgments, supervise and mentor diverse staff and teams, and work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional oral and written English communication skills. Fluency in a second language a plus.
- Strong computer skills using MS Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in building and leading business development strategies, systems, processes, and opportunities, and in managing matrixed, cross-functional teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in International Development, Economics, Social Sciences, or closely related field is required. Master’s Degree is strongly preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with USAID acquisition and assistance processes and USAID-oriented business development is required.
- Knowledge and experience pursuing funding from other bilateral and multilateral institutional donors in the development space is preferred, and additional experience with corporate and foundation donors is a plus.
- Experience creating, disseminating, and institutionalizing best practices and strong business processes, and building staff capacities through formal and informal learning channels.
- Project management experience in the international development context preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with programs that support youth employment and social services (e.g. education) highly desirable.
- Deep personal commitment to social and economic development that recognizes youth as critical actors and beneficiaries.
Vice President, Programs and Business Development
Please submit the following documents in English via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "BD Director" in the subject line:
- Completed U.S. Application for Employment
- Cover Letter
IYF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues, and we welcome applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences.