The Controller leads the Accounting team in providing critical decision support at all levels of the organization through accounting, financial reporting, and other financial modeling. S/he provides a risk management voice to leadership regarding policies and operational decisions. The position oversees the team in designing and implementing timely accounting and financial reporting essential in the support of business and strategic investment decisions, and for monitoring the performance of the organization’s programs and supporting services. This enhanced level of decision support is an essential element in the overall support of the organization’s strategic plan and goals, targeted to further the vision and mission through our global partnerships and programs.
The Controller directly supports and models the core values through the focus on accounting and financial reporting, efficiency, effectiveness, controls and compliance. Moreover, the position directs the design and maintenance of critical accounting and financial management procedures, systems, and internal controls that help further the organization’s effective stewardship of resources. This support and focus link to the core values of integrity, impact and innovation.
Functionally, the Controller is responsible for ensuring that the US based accounting, treasury, and statutory and management reporting systems and policies provide high quality, timely data and analysis for strategic decision support. The Controller works closely with the CFO on strategic matters, including the setting of departmental priorities, as well as representing Finance in cross-organizational working groups.
S/he has oversight responsibility for required financial systems, policies, procedures, and internal controls. The position ensures compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, applicable regulatory requirements, internal policies and procedures, and (in coordination with Director of International Finance & Administration) with donor requirements. The Controller is responsible for ensuring the integrity of the general ledger and related data, which is the basis for internal and external financial reporting. S/he assists the CFO with organizational risk management, participating in decisions around insurance, business development opportunities, and policy development and compliance monitoring.
The Controller provides innovative solutions for emerging financial management needs and serves with the CFO as key staff for the Investment & Audit Committee of the Board. The Controller supervises one management position and oversees a total staff of two.
Strategic Leadership & Governance Support
- Represent Accounting and Finance perspective in various cross-organization working groups and special initiatives (e.g. cost recovery, expat compliance, allocation methodologies, etc.), strategic working groups, and other cross-departmental planning committees.
- Responsible for preparation of required financial reports for Board and Committees.
- Provide key staff support to Investment & Audit Committee (coordination, agenda development, etc.); and serve on 401K Management Committee.
Compliance & Risk Management
- Develop internal controls to safeguard the assets of the organization.
- Ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), internal controls, established policies and procedures, and ensure integrity, suitability, accuracy and timeliness of internal information.
- Develop finance-related policies that appropriately address risk.
- Oversee compliance with payroll-related regulations for US paid employees, including expatriates.
- Plan and manage month end closing processes, financial statements preparation, external audit(s), annual tax filings and other statutory reporting requirements.
- Work in coordination with CFO to manage risk by securing adequate insurance policies.
- Identify and monitor financial risks and develop appropriate mitigation strategies.
- Direct the organization's accounting unit and functions, including establishment and maintenance of the organization's accounting principles, practices, procedures, and initiatives.
- Coordinate work of Accounting with International Finance & Administration to ensure smooth functioning and efficient workflow.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements to ensure continued high functioning of the department.
- Develop and maintain a staffing structure and high functioning team to effectively meet the accounting and financial reporting needs of the organization and provide high quality, timely service.
- Responsible for organization’s cash management. Perform cash flow monitoring, forecasting, and planning.
- Monitor investment portfolio performance and recommend changes as needed.
- Ensure timely, accurate, and relevant financial reporting.
- Provide ad-hoc and standard analysis, trend reporting, and sensitivity analysis to inform financial management decisions.
- Provide input to organizational dashboard(s) for financial Key Performance Indicators.
- Manage Accounting unit and other cost center budgets as assigned in close coordination with the CFO, assist in annual budget development and forecasting.
Policies & Systems
- Ensure that proper internal controls are in place and functioning as designed.
- Regularly review and update financial policies (including travel policies) to verify that they remain relevant and appropriate to ensure compliance and best practices while supporting efficient operations.
- Develop and maintain finance and accounting systems and processes that meet the financial management needs of the organization.
- Represent the organization to financial partners including auditors, vendors, funders, partners, public officials, and network organizations.
- Responsible for Project Start Up process from signing of donor agreement or contract through successful set up of codes, program folders and participation in project start up meeting.
- Responsible for full cycle processing of contracts with consultants and contractors: develop policy and procedures, as well as contracts templates. Manage/oversee contract processing, including training new staff.
- Review agreements with donors and clients to ensure satisfactory terms for IYF, noting legal, compliance, reporting, and other requirements.
- Provide regular and special information to the CFO related to financial performance, cash flows, investments.
- Supervise Accounting Manager.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the CFO.
- Ability to learn and to work independently as well as in a collegial manner, as a team player, is essential. Requires attention to detail, reliability, good time management and good organizational skills. Accuracy with numbers is necessary.
- Exceptional analytical, critical thinking and innovative problem-solving skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines and competing priorities.
- Strong financial modeling, budgeting, and analytical skills utilizing advanced Excel techniques.
- Communications skills must be effective and courteous, requiring high integrity when dealing with restricted and/or confidential information.
- Leadership skills as a change facilitator and exceptional service orientation.
- Effective supervisory skills including recruiting, mentoring, and developing staff.
- Knowledge in a major foreign language would be an advantage. Oral and written English fluency is required.
- Flexibility to respond to periods of high pressure is required. Some domestic or international travel may be required.
- Commitment to the organization’s core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners.
- Requires CPA, BA in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration (with an emphasis in accounting or finance).
- 10 to 12 years of professional experience managing accounting, budget, and financial reporting operations for non-profit organizations.
- Requires detailed understanding of GAAP, particularly rules for international non-profit organizations.
- Experience with US government grants and contracts required.
- Proficient in the design and maintenance of accounting and financial management systems, internal controls, finance policies and procedures development, and business planning and analysis.
- Understanding of contractual agreement structures and the ability to effectively coordinate legal counsel support.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365, general ledger, budgeting and financial reporting packages. Infor Cloud SunSystems accounting, Infor Q&A and QuickBooks multi-currency accounting and reporting package experience.
- Experience with and commitment to working in a diverse and multi-cultural environment.
Chief Financial Officer & Executive Vice President, Finance
Please submit the following documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Controller" in the subject line:
- Completed Country Office Application for Employment Form
- Cover Letter
IYF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues, and we welcome applications from people of all cultures.