For 30 years, the International Youth Foundation (IYF) has coordinated and sustained actions that harness the talent and potential of the world’s young people. At the heart of our efforts is building partnerships, initiatives, and curricula that prepare young people to succeed as citizens and employees.
In South Africa, IYF partners to strengthen education and training systems—including public TVET colleges and employer-led learnerships for unemployed youth—so that they better equip young people to access and expand economic opportunity. We work with national government and TVET leaders to align courses with industry needs; we equip employers to deliver more impactful life skills training within their learnerships; and we create mutually beneficial partnerships between industry and education systems that improve young people’s lives while also delivering measurable business benefits.
IYF’s work in South Africa is always exciting, ever-evolving, and informed by the needs of key stakeholders: the Department of Higher Education & Training (DHET), national industry groups, individual employers, and young people. It is not without challenges, but the payoff is worth it. Our programming is supported by a growing number of government, corporate, and foundation donors, including the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), Embassy of Ireland, Michael & Susan Dell Foundation (MSDF), De Beers, and PepsiCo Foundation.
POSITION SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
We need an Administrative Assistant to provide support to all IYF programming in South Africa. The Assistant will ensure all administrative activities of the office are fulfilled, to enable programme staff to implement projects efficiently and effectively.
- Coordinate all matters related to office operations and administration, to ensure an effective and efficient work environment.
- Provide ongoing operational and logistical support, including secretarial support, to the office.
- Schedule and coordinate meetings, and assist in the planning and logistics of technical workshops, offsite meetings, and stakeholder events (interfacing with vendors, printers, consultants, and others as necessary).
- Coordinate travel itineraries, airfare ticketing, hotel reservations and other travel logistics for staff, visitors and consultants.
- Keep track of office supply stocks, and assist in ordering new supplies and other office needs.
- Assist with office space and equipment maintenance and repairs, as needed.
- Maintain updated staff directory and office calendars.
- Create, update and maintain a filing system for project reports, briefs, brochures and other project related documents for quick reference and easy accessibility.
- Assist in logistics and procurement needs by preparing procurement plans, creating a vendor database, initiating procurement processes, and following up on vendor payments.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Finance and Administration Manager.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A Diploma and/or Bachelor’s degree or equivalent standard of education in relevant field (business administration, procurement, supply chain, commerce etc.).
- 1-3 years of related practical experience in office administration.
- Oral and written fluency in English a must. Proficiency in least one additional South African language an advantage.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment with minimum supervision.
- Ability to learn and adapt in new environments.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and analytical skills.
- Strong computer skills in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
OTHER HIGHLY-VALUED SKILLS
- A resourceful style, with the ability to work both independently and as a team player
- An entrepreneurial approach, where tenacity, taking initiative, executing methodically, and proactively solving problems come naturally
- Thrives in working in a complex environment with multiple tasks and short deadlines.
- Commitment to IYF’s mission
YOU WOULD LOVE THIS ROLE IF YOU…
- Identify solutions as quickly as you spot challenges
- Thrive in a culture of high-performance and high-integrity
- Would like to work in a global organisation, within its South Africa “innovation hub”
- Like surrounding yourself with really smart, driven, mission-driven people
Johannesburg, South Africa
Finance and Administration Manager
Only applicants without work restrictions in South Africa should apply.