Manager, Private Sector Partnerships
To lead partnership development efforts for IYF’s YouthMap program through active engagement with multinational corporations, major foundations, multi/bilateral donor agencies, and other prospective partners leading to increased reach, expansion and effectiveness of the YouthMap Innovation Funds.
The International Youth Foundation (IYF), a global nonprofit organization that works to improve the lives and conditions of young people worldwide, is seeking a Manager, Private Sector Partnerships, for its YouthMap Program. YouthMap is a four-year, USAID-funded project designed to assess youth circumstances as well as support promising programs and practices in positive youth development in sub-Saharan Africa. The program is conducting holistic assessments on the status of young people and the quality and responsiveness of programs and services available to them, especially employment/entrepreneurship skills training, civic participation and opportunities for continuing their education, through youth-serving institutions in the Africa region. In response to assessment findings, IYF is establishing a YouthMap Innovation Fund in each country to provide seed grants to replicate promising practices, address gaps in existing programs, and scale up innovations that are working for youth in the areas of education and employability.
IYF seeks to attract additional funding from the private sector (multi-national companies, foundations, large, national-level employers/businesses in the targeted African countries and philanthropists) to increase the impact of these Innovation Funds. The Manager, Private Sector Partnerships will lead the development and implementation of a strategy with the goal of maximizing private sector contributions (cash and in-kind) to the Innovation Funds. This full-time position will be based in Baltimore, MD. For more information about IYF and the YouthMap program please consult www.iyfnet.org.
- In consultation with the Program Director, YouthMap, YouthMap country managers and IYF’s business development team, develop and execute an outreach strategy to generate at least 1:1 leverage for YouthMap Innovation Funds in the Africa region. Identify the most promising opportunities for creating partnerships with global companies and their corporate social responsibility programs, foundations and other private sector actors in the region.
- Working closely with the Program Director, YouthMap, the communications team, and others to execute marketing of the YouthMap Innovation Funds in alignment with this strategy. Lead the development of all marketing materials for private sector outreach including print, web and video materials. Coordinate outreach activities and priorities with IYF’s communications team to ensure maximum impact and strategic positioning of the YouthMap Innovation Funds.
- Conduct field visits in targeted countries to implement the strategy, including scoping out and initiating contacts and managing all follow-up in a timely manner. Prepare presentations, marketing materials, briefing papers, concept papers, proposals and budgets to successfully communicate with private sector prospects the purpose of the YouthMap Innovation Funds and the business case for investing in youth development in the Africa region. Provide all necessary support to the Program Director, YouthMap and the Executive VP, Programs to effectively negotiate these partnerships in a timely manner.
- Coordinate outreach to other multi-lateral and multi-national institutions (U.N. agencies, African Union, regional trade and commercial associations, etc) to promote the YouthMap Innovation Funds and identify opportunities for partnership. Participate in developing and implementing strategies for connecting YouthMap with other relevant, multi-country USAID and US government agency and Embassy initiatives and outreach to the global youth movement.
- Develop and manage systems for tracking prospects and commitments. Prepare and submit regular reports and updates on progress, next steps, new leads, barriers/constraints and solutions. In cooperation with country managers, assess and build the capacity of YouthMap partners to generate and track leverage contributions through simple tools, webinars and other capacity building services.
- Support YouthMap program design and management, communications and marketing needs and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of experience in marketing/communications, business development and/or international development preferred. Masters degree is highly preferred.
- At least 4 years of experience in the corporate sector, business development, and/or fundraising in the international development sector is required. Familiarity with corporate social responsibility (CSR) field is desired.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required. Ability to conduct business (written and verbal) in a second language (French and/or Portuguese) is preferred.
- Proven ability to prospect private sector partnership and follow-up on marketing leads, develop concept papers, proposals, and budgets, cultivate and maintain prospective relationships and negotiate partnerships. Analytical and project management skills including the ability to identify and establish priorities and plan work flow, especially related to marketing/communications, business development and fundraising.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, problem-solve, and exercise sound judgment in response to complex and sensitive situations.
- Strong interpersonal skills appropriate for operating effectively in a multicultural, international environment.
- Previous work on USAID projects is preferred, especially designing and successfully establishing and managing significant public-private partnerships.
- Experience working, studying and/or traveling in Sub-Saharan Africa and familiarity with recent trends in economic development and private sector investment in the region strongly preferred.
- Knowledge and experience in, and passion for promoting the advancement of youth development programs including youth employability, education, civic participation and leadership development.
- Proficient in the use of the full suite of Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Access.
- Ability to travel internationally as needed.
Baltimore, MD USA
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLY
Please submit all of the following documents with “MGR-PSP”, followed by your name, in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Completed IYF US Application for Employment
- Cover Letter
About the International Youth Foundation:
The International Youth Foundation (IYF) is a global nonprofit organization that works with the business, government, and civil society sectors in 70 countries to improve the lives and condition of young people worldwide. Founded in 1990, IYF equips today's youth with the necessary skills to be healthy, productive and civically engaged individuals. To deepen its impact, IYF scales up effective and sustainable programs that are making a lasting difference in young lives. IYF receives support from bilateral and multilateral donor agencies, companies, foundations and individuals.
International Youth Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.