Program Technical Specialist, Entrepreneurship, Tanzania
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION & JOB PURPOSE
The primary responsibility of this position will be to support implementation of the sector market analysis and support partners to select entrepreneurial-minded youth; enhance entrepreneurship training; develop mentors; and link youth to financing opportunities.
The Program Technical Specialist, Entrepreneurship will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. The ideal candidate will be a person with a commitment to international development and values-driven work environment, with demonstrated experience implementing entrepreneurship and financial inclusion activities as part of youth development programs in Tanzania.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide technical input into the design and implementation of entrepreneurship and related financial inclusion activities for self-employment, with the ultimate goal of jobs and/or income creation through access to business development services for start-up and/or expansion.
- Ensure entrepreneurship quality standards are developed, defined, and implemented throughout the project.
- Support partners to develop and adapt appropriate diagnostic tools and other local partnerships that enable the right young people to be selected and then succeed within the project’s entrepreneurship track.
- Support partners to carry out assessments of microfinance institutions and related mobile banking solutions that support program goals.
- Design and develop suitable flexible lending products for business startup and/or growth based on the Tanzanian context, including innovative approaches to saving and lending.
- Integrate technology and competition based solutions for financial inclusion and entrepreneurship in programming.
- Support the establishment of strong and effective partnerships (MOUs) between business development services providers and financial intermediaries, including clearly defined referral systems, to ensure a common understanding of youth pathways to entrepreneurial and/or business success.
- Carry out research relevant to the project as required.
- Review monitoring and evaluation data and reporting, track program performance, and identify best practices related to financial inclusion and entrepreneurship development.
- Provide technical support and training services to local partners as required.
- Coordinate activities with other technical specialists to ensure integration of project activities across all component areas for both entrepreneurship/business successfully and ensure overall project success.
- Provide regular updates on implementation progress and prepare required contributions to quarterly reports, and generate other technical reports as required.
- Identify any problems and challenges that may arise and offer solutions accordingly.
Reports to Country Director based in Dar es Salaam.
- Bachelors’ degree and 8+ years of work experience in managing and providing technical support to youth entrepreneurship and/or financial inclusion programs in the region. Master’s degree preferred.
- Established professional in Tanzania, with ability to engage, maintain, and build upon local partnerships with donors, government, civil society organizations, and business development and/or microfinance institutions.
- Demonstrated experience successfully working with the public sector, the private sector, civil society, financial institutions, local government, and donors in supporting the emergence of small businesses and self-employment.
- Experience with curriculum assessment, training methodologies, and conducting and evaluating training activities.
- Ability to effectively balance clear articulation and support for integration of the project’s entrepreneurship activities and objectives into youth programming, with attention to detail.
- Knowledge of and experience with programs that support youth employment and/or social services (e.g. education, employment, entrepreneurship, health) preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Swahili and English.
LOCATION: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Please submit the following documents in English via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Tanzania – Entrepreneurship Specialist" in the subject line:
- Completed IYF Field Office Application for Employment
- Cover Letter
Applications will be reviewed as received. Tanzanian nationals are encouraged to apply.
No phone calls please. To be considered for this position please follow application instructions.
The International Youth Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.